The police officer who had been charged with firing his handgun during a confrontation with another customer in a bar in Quezon City last November has been dismissed from the service, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Benjamin Acorda said on Monday.
In a press briefing at Camp Crame, Quezon City, Acorda said he has already signed Lt. Col. Mark Julio Abong’s dismissal order last Dec. 18 in relation to a hit-and-run case in August 2022.
“It is his right to appeal but based on the provisions of existing policies, the decision is executory, meaning while he may render his appeal or submit his appeal, the decision should stand. He is dismissed from the service. With regard to benefits if you are dismissed, you are not entitled to benefits,” he said.
Abong was a member of the PNP under the Legal Service department who was arrested in November last year for firing his gun outside a Quezon City bar.
Abong grabbed a waiter by his necktie and argued with a customer outside the establishment in Barangay Laging Handa, according to the police report.
The establishment’s manager said Abong fired his handgun twice outside.
The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) earlier filed charges of illegal discharge of firearms, alarm and scandal, and violating the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act in relation to the Omnibus Election code, as well as physical injury and slander by deed against Abong.
Last November, the Department of the Interior and Local Government junked the appeal of Abong who has been ordered dismissed by the Quezon City People’s Law Enforcement Board for his involvement in the hit-and-run case.